Friday, October 7, 2011

Reproducing and adapting Sol LeWitt's work

In 2004, Casey Reas, has reproduced three of Sol LeWitt's drawings as part of the project '{Software} Structures' for the Whitney Museum of American Art's artport using Processing. The project "explores the relevance of conceptual art to the idea of software as art."

Wall Drawing #358 is one of the pieces. - I copied the source code in Processing and replaced Casey's point-by-point drawing with the arc function. (I assume the arc function was not yet available in v0.68 back then.) Varying the code, the color of the arcs and (accidentally) ignoring the fact that the z,y coordinate of the center of the arc needs to move around the corner of each square, I have created three variations of Casey's - well LeWitt's - work: 'Red arcs', 'Black arcs' and 'Circles black red white'. Finally, I identified my initial mistake and recreated a series of variations of the 358 drawing. Five examples of each series are in my photostream on Flickr

No comments: